Pimm’s and strawberry cobbler
- 750g strawberries, hulled (larger strawberries halved)
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs Pimm’s No. 1 Cup (from bottle shops)
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 50g almonds
- 2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
1.Preheat oven to 240°C.
2.Place strawberries in a 25cm round, 1.25L (5-cup) baking dish. Add vanilla seeds and toss to combine. (The unused vanilla pod can be added to a jar of sugar to flavour it.)
3.Add orange zest, sugar and Pimm’s to dish and toss gently to combine. Transfer to the oven, reduce temperature to 190°C and bake for 10 minutes or until the fruit is soft but still holding its shape.
How to prepare citrus fruit
4.Meanwhile, for the topping, place almonds in a food processor and whiz until finely chopped. Add flour, sugar and a pinch of salt flakes, and whiz to combine. Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 2 tbs water and pulse until the mixture just comes together.
5.Dollop 12 spoonfuls of dough over the hot fruit. Return dish to oven for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Serve with ice cream.